Youth Exchange funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Commission
„Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
APV: 8 -11 April 2021
Mobilitate: 5 – 14 May 2021
The Conference on the Future of Europe, happened on 15 January 2020 stays of the basis of this project. The European Commission, Parliament and Council united for a common declaration of partnership, with the purpose to determine new agreements or amendments to the existing ones, on the future of European democracy during 2020–2022. The resolution of Conference highlighted that „people of all backgrounds, civil society representatives and stakeholders at European, national, regional and local level must be involved in setting the EU’s priorities in line with citizens’ concerns in a bottom-up, transparent, inclusive, participatory and well-balanced approach”. This initiative of the 3 EU institutions is motivated by the high number of voters, especially youth, at European elections in 2019. The citizens, especially young people showed that they want to be heard by those who govern and they want to make their voice heard.
As a consequences of this initiative youth need to acquire a set of skills that empower them in democratic participation at local, national and European level.
- European Youth Centre Breclav Z.S – Czech Republic;
- Association TDM 200 – Italy;
- Associação de Defesa do Património Cultural Natural de Soure – Portugal;
- Asociacija Aktyvistai – Lithuania;
- Youthfully Yours SK – Slovakia;
- Youth on Board – Republic of North Macedonia
The aim of the project is to increase the level of youth civic engagement (civic, electoral and political participation) at local, national and European level.
- to foster active citizenship and civic participation among young people;
- to strengthen the interest of young people in civic life, political life and decision making process at local,national and European level;
- to understand the importance of youth involvement in shaping the future of European democracy;
- to explore possibilities of active involvement in society (volunteering, activation in NGOs, meeting authorities, participation to debate, negociation, etc);
- to understand the role of the main actors (citizens, government, NGOs, media) in a democratic society;
- to acquire a set of skills helpful to become change makers in local community and society.
The target group for the youth exchange activity consist of 28 young people aged between 18-25 years, and 7 group leaders aged over 18 without upper age limit).
Young people who will take part in this project should be interested in the topic of the project, in civic engagement, decision making process, European Union values, youth policies, young people who are active in their communities as part of an NGO, they volunteer, but also young people who are less active or not active at all, but they are motivated to know more about the topic and to acquire knowledge on how to be involved in democratic life.
Complete information are available in the Infopack-Empower-Youth.